A Nintendo community
for the fans, by the fans!
Browse    1  2  3  4  
How SEGA won the 16-bit wars [top ten]
 
Most gamers today look fondly back at the period from 1989 to the mid-90s as a golden age for SEGA, with Genesis hardware and software sales simply trouncing Nintendo's 16-bit console, the Super Nintendo (what an original name, huh guys?). The reasons for such a clear and decisive victory are multifaceted, so join me, fellow Segative World readers, as we examine some of the clever tactics and downright genius innovations SEGA utilized to ensure the Genesis would cement its place as one of the greatest consoles. Of. All. Time.
Posted: 04/01/13, 22:52:30  - Edited by 
 on: 04/02/13, 03:25:04
[ Share ]
 
 
Cool name

One word; the beginning of all that is holy.
 
Sleek design
Sexy and curvy black finish served only to entice the very best in game development, especially compared to the pale gray and purple monstrosity engineered by Nintendo.

 
Famous people starring in Genesis games
The Genesis clearly had the edge over Nintendo on this one! Pat Riley Basketball, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf, James 'Buster' Douglas Knockout Boxing, Joe Montana Football, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, Mario Lemieux Hockey, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. Who did Nintendo have? Some obscure baseball player from Seattle?
 
Fatality
Mortal Kombat had blood. 'Nuff said.

 
Perfect controller
The Super Nintendo launched with an overly complicated controller scheme that simply had too many buttons to count. Gamers only have two thumbs, and SEGA hit the sweet spot with their oh-so-perfect ABC button control scheme. SEGA also gave gamers even more options by releasing their own complex controller (ABC-XYZ) that gave players the necessary tool to play the enhanced versions of Super Nintendo ports.

 
Killer soundtracks
In addition, the Genesis had two primary sound chips: the Yamaha YM2612 FM synth chip and the Texas Instruments SN76489 PSG chip, allowing for a true electronic soundtrack that pumped up the excitement to fantastic levels. Who needs more realism in their game music?


 
The most (and best) exclusives
The number of quality SEGA exclusives far outnumbers anything on the Super Nintendo. ToeJam & Earl, Ecco the Dolphin, Dynamite Headdy, Altered Beast, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Shinobi, ETERNAL CHAMPIONS... the list goes on and on!

 
Innovation
No matter what 'innovations' Nintendo could come up, SEGA always found a way to outdo them. Stunt Race FX? Forget that, Genesis had Virtua Racing. Computer rendered graphics? Vectorman does it even better and never misses a beat. Perhaps the most innovative piece of technology to have been born of the Genesis era was the Activator, which could actually read your body movement as inputs to martial arts games. Motion controls began here, suffice it to say!

 
The power of add-ons
All the add-ons made the Genesis a versatile and powerful system that the SNES simply could not keep with. First came the Sega CD, which allowed developers to include full motion video, something unheard of on Nintendo's platform. The power of the Genesis was tapped even further with the release of the 32x, which, amazingly enough, doubled the number of bits from 16 to 32. Even though Nintendo made attempts to keep up with SEGA, they couldn't even get their Sony CD add-on released. I think we all know what happened to Sony after that!

 
Sonic
The Genesis had Sonic. Nintendo did not. Sonic was the perfect embodiment of all that was cool and righteous in the world of video games, and his games clearly demonstrated this was the case. Nintendo's own mascot, the chubby little Mario, was already aging and could not keep up with gamers' desire for a mascot that oozed with so much blue energy. Aside from the larger number of quality titles he starred in on the Genesis console itself, his presence in the comics, cartoons and spectacular merchandise tie-ins ensured gamers knew where to turn for the best in entertainment. In fact, there's an entire top ten list on why Sonic is better than Mario.

 
This is just a short list, but I'm sure you can add many more.

URL to share this content (right click and copy link)
Posted: 04/01/13, 22:52:30  - Edited by 
 on: 04/02/13, 03:25:04
[ Share ]
 
Why not sign up for a (free) account and create your own content?
 
And before you ban, I wonít say the f word again. I promise okay?
Posted: 04/23/20, 00:03:42
Okay, I guess I'll be the fun-ruiner here!

@LazerKing80
The last couple pages of responses were basically all jokes. Everyone here loves Nintendo and while we have some Sega fans as well, this top ten was originally posted on April Fools Day so it was essentially a joke in and of itself. The SNES contains a bunch of our top games, so we clearly enjoy it.

Let's just keep it above the belt in the future!
Posted: 04/23/20, 00:17:20
TriforceBun said:
Okay, I guess I'll be the fun-ruiner here!

@LazerKing80
The last couple pages of responses were basically all jokes. Everyone here loves Nintendo and while we have some Sega fans as well, this top ten was originally posted on April Fools Day so it was essentially a joke in and of itself. The SNES contains a bunch of our top games, so we clearly enjoy it.

Let's just keep it above the belt in the future!
Is that so?
Posted: 04/23/20, 00:23:18
I have no idea what Triforcebun is talking about but I definitely wasn't joking, Sega easily smashes Nintendo on every level. Except for the Virtual Boy, which might just be the best system ever made.
Posted: 04/23/20, 00:26:36
LazerKing80 said:
Nope.




TriforceBun said:
Okay, I guess I'll be the fun-ruiner here!
Posted: 04/23/20, 01:58:08  - Edited by 
 on: 04/23/20, 01:59:59
Do not lose faith, for soon our savior, Segata Sanshiro shall return and a new age of Sega console prosperity will be upon us.

Posted: 04/23/20, 02:32:47
@pokepal148 for Sega's 60th anniversary, they're introducing Sega Shiro.
The actor who plays Sega Shiro is the son of the actor who played Segata Sanshiro.



You won't find this glorious nepotism on Nintendo!
Posted: 04/23/20, 02:47:20  - Edited by 
 on: 04/23/20, 02:47:58
@nate38

Damn straight. Didn't Yamauchi fire any family members working for Nintendo?

Posted: 04/23/20, 03:14:19
Zero said:
I have no idea what Triforcebun is talking about but I definitely wasn't joking, Sega easily smashes Nintendo on every level. Except for the Virtual Boy, which might just be the best system ever made.
Haha no. Nintendo smashes Sega on every level.

pokepal148 said:
Do not lose faith, for soon our savior, Segata Sanshiro shall return and a new age of Sega console prosperity will be upon us.

Haha no, you will find that on glorious Nepotism on Nintendo

Shadowlink said:
@nate38

Damn straight. Didn't Yamauchi fire any family members working for Nintendo?

Not damn straight. Not even close. And Yamauchi is awesome.


Iím not mistaken of Nintendo beating Sega. Nintendo beats Sega. Fact.
Posted: 04/23/20, 06:41:37  - Edited by 
 on: 04/27/20, 16:44:47
If only this turned out to be true, then perhaps Smash Bros. wouldn't suck as much as it does:

http://www.negativeworld.org/boardreplies.php?id=12108&pagenumber=1
Posted: 05/06/20, 21:16:37
Mop it up said:
If only this turned out to be true, then perhaps Smash Bros. wouldn't suck as much as it does:

http://www.negativeworld.org/boardreplies.php?id=12108&pagenumber=1
False. Smash bros doesnít suck Nintendo beats Sega. Fact. And that page number is false. Smash bros donít suck period. And it doesnít such as it really doesnít. Stop lying.
Posted: 05/12/20, 02:25:49
LazerKing80 said:
Mop it up said:
If only this turned out to be true, then perhaps Smash Bros. wouldn't suck as much as it does:

http://www.negativeworld.org/boardreplies.php?id=12108&pagenumber=1
False. Smash bros doesnít suck Nintendo beats Sega. Fact. And that page number is false. Smash bros donít suck period. And it doesnít such as it really doesnít. Stop lying.
Smash Bros. is a good game. It's no PlayStation All-Stars, but it's okay.
Posted: 05/14/20, 00:56:52
Posted: 05/14/20, 03:03:57
You really think Obama would ever talk about Mario or Nintendo??


This clearly settles this pathetic little debate.
Posted: 05/14/20, 11:28:30  - Edited by 
 on: 05/14/20, 11:29:54
kriswright said:
Bonanza bros 💩
Smash Bros 👍🏾. Fixed that for you

WrathOfSamus777 said:
LazerKing80 said:
Mop it up said:
If only this turned out to be true, then perhaps Smash Bros. wouldn't suck as much as it does:

http://www.negativeworld.org/boardreplies.php?id=12108&pagenumber=1
False. Smash bros doesnít suck Nintendo beats Sega. Fact. And that page number is false. Smash bros donít suck period. And it doesnít such as it really doesnít. Stop lying.
Smash Bros. is a good game. It's no PlayStation All-Stars, but it's okay.
Uh no. Smash bros is a great game. PlayStation all stars is nothing. Actually itís everything PlayStation all stars wishes it could be.

carlosrox said:
You really think Obama would ever talk about Mario or Nintendo??


This clearly settles this pathetic little debate.
Doesnt. Obama is a snowflake.
Posted: 05/22/20, 23:44:29
TheBigG753 said:
To be fair, this was back when the site was known as SEGATIVE WORLD.

We've become a bit more accepting of Nintendo in the years since, especially since they finally released a good console (Wii U). Though with the Switch they're kinda back to sucking again tbh...
I've come around on this. Nintendo didn't release yet another SHITTY ZELDA GAME last year, so I think 2020 was their best year in a long time! Except for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, that game sucked ass. I played it for like 20 minutes and never touched it again. Nintendo's kinda better now but they still suck most of the time.
Posted: 04/01/21, 07:59:12
@TheBigG753

Agreed, I put 600 hours into Animal Crossing and hated every second of it.
Posted: 04/01/21, 18:49:19
Nintendo officially ended the production of the 3DS last year. So Nintendo blows now.
Posted: 04/01/21, 19:31:22
Browse    1  2  3  4