Mario Party 3DS announced - first footage
April 17, 2013, 19:04:22
Party Like it's the Year of Luigi: A new game in the Mario Party series is scheduled to launch for Nintendo 3DS this winter. The game features seven different game boards, each with its own set of rules. The game offers 81 new mini-games that test speed, concentration and luck. In addition to the board game elements, players will be able to play mini-games exclusively or try their hands at a 30-floor tower climb, AR Card games and StreetPass battles.

Source: Nintendo Direct / Nintendo press release

Posted: 04/17/13, 19:04:22  - Edited by
 on: 04/17/13, 21:03:57
Looks interesting. How well do these handheld Mario Parties do? I mean, I'd think this is one series that doesn't translate well to handhelds.

In fact, I'm going to say it now. I'm not picking this up unless there's online multiplayer. I'm just going to outright "be that guy". If I can play this online with you guys, I'm in. If not, forget it.

on: 04/17/13, 19:09:18

I'm with you. I know Mario Party is more fun on the hotseat, but that's tough to pull off on handhelds.

But this does look good. At least the formula is being changed up a bit for this one.

on: 04/17/13, 19:11:17
I said these words myself while watching the N Direct. It doesn't matter how amazing the boards are if I have nobody to play against. It'd be cool to have NW Mario Party nights.

on: 04/17/13, 19:11:51
You'd think since they mentioned online in Mario Golf, they would have mentioned it for Mario Party. It would be nice to have online (and voice chat, because it would be really boring without it).

That said, Mario Party DS is one of the best Mario Parties, in my opinion. Nathalie and I played a ton of it. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a 3DS, so I'll only be able to play with my niece, and only two player. Makes that Animal Cross 3DSXL all the more tempting, but I'm gonna stick to my guns and hold out until the next revision, I think.

This game would be great for meet ups where there would surely be enough 3DS's, though.

on: 04/17/13, 19:19:34
Count me in the group who wants online! Mario Party DS worked really well as a local multiplayer game though. If everyone has a DS, you can all be watching TV or something and play casually at the same time.

on: 04/17/13, 20:20:11
This actually looks pretty neat, I like the various themes for each board. I just don't see that I'd ever play it, I don't hang out with enough people with 3DS to get much local multiplayer going.

on: 04/17/13, 21:08:35
They didn't announce online multi. If I was a betting man, I'd wager against it being included.

on: 04/17/13, 23:41:58
Mario Party DS was actually pretty good.

I don't know if this new entry will have online or not - Nintendo hasn't said one way or another.

But...do you guys really want to play this online? It's a board game. It *might* be fun with friends, but when you're not in the same room, will it be as enjoyable? It's not like Mario Kart where you're constantly playing and being engaged. And forget about playing randoms, who are likely to drop out when they start losing, or are about to lose.

Did anyone play Fortune Street online? How was that?

on: 04/18/13, 00:23:45  - Edited by
 on: 04/18/13, 00:24:11
I mostly agree with you, but I'd be all over playing this while chilling in chat.

Also, Mario Party DS was great for sure, but I only got to play 2-player. Boo.

on: 04/18/13, 00:28:36
kriswright said:
How well do these handheld Mario Parties do?
If you mean in terms of sales, Mario Party DS is actually the best-selling game in the series, with over 8 million copies sold. This game's announcement was no surprise to me.

I do hope it has online since playing a local 3/DS multiplayer game is practically impossible, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

on: 04/18/13, 02:44:54