1) Nintendo/Mario Kart team has collaborated on item balance and hardware design. Apparently, this RC Kart has some cool tech inside.
2) It controls just like console Mario Karts, to the point of including steering assist mode for kids to stay on the created track?!
3) And drifting (with the associated speed boosts)?! Even if the Kart doesn't physically drift, it's an awesome inclusion. If it does, this is freaking incredible, and it just might, because...
4) Your physical cart reacts to the in-game action. We already knew about speed boosts and slowdown from getting hit by an item/obstacle. But the chain chomp item physically jerks your cart around! And the bullet bill item freaking auto-drives your car on your created track! Speaking of which...
5) The Track Editor seems crazy robust! I'm not sure about ramps and such, but it looks like you'll have tons of freedom in designing the course layout, including crossovers. The only physical items to place are the four gates and the two arrow boards. I can only hope that they add more AR track creation items or allow you to expand with other people's gates, especially because...
6) It supports four players!
7) You can race against freaking virtual previous time trial ghosts on your own courses!
8) Mirror Mode, the Magikoopa sections where your controls are reversed, and the different level motifs (will your kart somehow lose traction in icy environments?) really give me assurance that the developers are really trying to take this Augmented Reality concept as far as they can. The integration of reality and virtual reality doesn't feel superficial at all, and the game seems to be injecting so much variety into its simple, physically-constrained framework.
Really impressive stuff here. And it's such a low-key release, for some reason. I hope it takes off.
It's out, right? Has anyone dropped the hundred to try it out?!
I was actually thinking... I might be able to convince my school to purchase this for the school? I got them to buy a Switch and Labo, this is also pretty cool tech so, maybe?! I think I will give it a shot, worst that can happen is they say no.
I've got both Mario and Luigi ordered, and should be delivered next week. Unfortunately, they won't be opened until Christmas Day, but my 2 boys are going to be happy! They are already asking me "Are we going to buy that?" any time we see a video/commercial for it.
I think exploration mode will be fun, just driving around the house and seeing things from a completely different perspective.
I randomly thought to myself a few days ago, "Huh, is that Mario Kart thing out?" So I googled it, saw it was up on Gamestop, ordered the Mario one, hit checkout, and... in the time it took me to fill in my billing info, it had sold out! What bizarre, coincidental timing!
Darn, the tech head rejected my idea! If this were a few years ago she would have said yes for sure, but I think the budget is tighter now and we also bought a ton of robots over the summer for the upcoming robotics class.
Going to hope I can get it through my club funds but that feels unlikely.
Not that it is in stock anywhere right now anyway.