And so with the doors firmly shut and the last of the interviews trickling out, E3 2013 goes down as a solid but unsurprising one for Nintendo - largely because a lot of potential game news had already been let out of the bag in recent Nintendo Directs.
As for the challenge, we had a pretty good showing! Of the 33 entries, 5 scored higher than last year's winner and we have a new record low! Oh yeah!
First up, here are the predictions that came true:
A) Most Likely : 2pts
01) Iwata, Shibata and Reggie all present in a Nintendo Direct 02) New 3D Mario Platformer gets a name and a 2013 release 03) Smash Bros. 4 screens or artwork are shown 04) Mario Kart U trailer 05) New footage of Monolithsoft's X 06) Bayonetta 2 trailer 07) First footage of The Wind Waker HD 08) New video of Pokemon X/Y 09) New color/s for 3DS 10) The new 3D Mario platformer is not Mario Galaxy 3
B) Maybe : 4pts 01) Teaser video of Smash Bros. 4 02) Mario Kart U confirmed for 2013 03) New Nintendo/3rd party game collaboration 04) Dragon Quest VII coming to the West 05) Wind Waker HD confirmed for 2013 06) Good Feel show a new trailer for Yarn Yoshi 07) A new Wii U bundle for the holidays 08) New system announced for the Virtual Console (U/3DS) 09) Monolithsoft's 3DS game revealed 10) Treasure's 3DS game revealed
C) I guess it's possible... : 6 pts
01) Retro Studio's game is revealed 02) One or more Smash Bros.4 newcomers are shown 03) Smash Bros. 4 gets a firm release date 04) Bayonetta 2 for 2013 05) Some kind of teaser or artwork shown for Zelda U 06) A new Near Field Communication game announced for Wii U 07) Majora's Mask remake for 3DS 08) Exclusive Wii U game from Capcom, Level-5, Mistwalker or Square-Enix 09) Wii Sports U announced 10) Earthbound collection for 3DS
D) MEGATON : 10 pts
01) 3rd exclusive Sonic game is a Mario/Sonic platformer 02) Retro's game is a new IP 03) New model of 3DS 04) GTA V, Metal Gear Solid V, Destiny or Dark Souls - Wii U version 05) NFC collectibles confirmed for Smash Bros. 06) Dragon Quest X coming to the West 07) HD remake of Metroid Prime 08) Ambassador program for Wii U 09) Return of non-specific action figure 10) Skies of Arcadia 2, Shenmue 3 or Panzer Dragoon exclusive
Bonus Prediction: (OPTIONAL) The only correct answer here was Donkey Kong Country, and nobody wrote that down.
- The maximum possible score this year was 86 points and the worst possible was -484, so if you're in the middle of that don't feel too bad.
- The Eternal Optimist award goes to Marsh for making the most predictions: 26
- The wrong answer that was picked most often was: "Good Feel show a new trailer for Yarn Yoshi"- 27 times. Also "Iwata, Reggie and Shibata all present" was picked 22 times. Unfortunately the Global President decided to hog the limelight this year.
- The correct answer we missed the most was: "One or more Smash Bros. 4 newcomers are shown" although it was still picked 21 times! Which illustrates how few freak events there were this year.
- The most predictably correct answer turned out to be "First footage of The Wind Waker HD", it was the one thing that -everyone- guessed.
- The most predictably wrong answers were D3, 7 and 10. "New model of 3DS", "HD remake of Metroid Prime" and "Skies of Arcadia 2, Shenmue 3 or Panzer Dragoon exclusive", each of which only one person thought would happen.
- If we haven't already learned this, the conservative approach was the winning one. The people who made the fewest predictions scored best again... but you never know what will happen next year!
You're welcome, guys! I've been doing this since Spaceworld. Man, I'm old.
@Zero, we've had very similar scores up until now. This year I was curious what it'd be like to play the safest possible game, stick to what Nintendo had promised and nothing more. I actually thought the bonus question would determine the winner and that there would be more surprises to shake things up. Hooray for predictable conference?
Prudence isn't as much fun. Next year I'll be back into negative double figures!
I can see more people played it safe this year... I think I won with 14pts last year and if I got the new Retro/IP question right, I still wouldn't have broken into the top 4. Quite an impressive score for the podium players!
Yeah I played pretty conservatively. I'm still shocked that Mario Kart for 2013 didn't come true. I was so sure of that, especially in light of Iwata's comments on Mario Kart 7. I think it was in an Iwata Asks where he said that he basically pushed the panic button when the 3DS wasn't selling well and put addition resources at Mario Kart 7 to make sure it'll make it by the holiday season. So I figured it'll be a repeat with Mario Kart 8.