Massive Layoffs at IGN, Complete Shutdown of 1UP, Gamespy
Editor
February 24, 2013, 18:48:59

Now that IGN, Gamespy, and 1UP are all under the same parent company, Ziff Davis (former publisher of Electronic Gaming Monthly) has decided to proceed with massive layoffs at IGN, plus the complete shutdown of 1UP, UGO, and Gamespy

Jeremy Parish said:
Today, Ziff-Davis announced that as part of a restructuring of its new property IGN Entertainment, three of IGN's smaller secondary sites -- namely, 1UP.com, Gamespy.com, and UGO.com -- would be "winding down." As is often the case with such reorganizations, some of 1UP's staff was laid off while others will be moving over to work as contributors at IGN.com. No timeline was given for 1UP's closure or if its servers would continue to run indefinitely.

Jeremy Parish leaves a touching farewell in the link above.

Posted: 02/24/13, 18:48:59

End of an era (although IGN hasn't been the same for a while now)

on: 02/24/13, 18:58:08
Interesting news.

Sorry I had to

on: 02/24/13, 18:59:31
@Jargon I was very close to putting that in the original subject title or post, haha, but out of respect to those sites and repping NW on Facebook and Twitter, I decided against it.

But yeah....Interesting News for all you 1UP fans today.

on: 02/24/13, 19:01:29
It was kind of amazing that 1up stayed alive this long, anyway. Why would one company need multiple video game sites?

But if IGN is slimming down, games media must be in pretty shitty shape. Aren't they the most popular site, by far?

on: 02/24/13, 19:03:04
Wow thats some very interesting news. I didn't know 1up was under IGN but I knew gamespy was. Remember when gamespy was supposed to power Gamecube and wii's online? UGH. Hoping some pro Nintendo sites pop up in their spots

on: 02/24/13, 20:20:41
Wellsy529 said:

C'mon, Wellsy! Its us!

on: 02/24/13, 20:28:55
@Wellsy529 IGN was acquired by Ziff Davis earlier this year I think, and Ziff Davis already had 1UP and Gamespy under their umbrella.

on: 02/24/13, 20:34:48
hey, ZIFF......hows its goin ZIFF ziffziffziff ziffziffziffziffziffziff

on: 02/24/13, 20:38:45
And Negative World is putting up its strongest numbers ever. BOO YAH. I do feel bad for people losing jobs though.

@Anand If they're actually different and each have their own userbase, why not? But I wonder how many truly unique gaming sites even can exist nowadays.

on: 02/24/13, 21:03:58  - Edited by
 on: 02/24/13, 21:04:34
So who at IGN got laid off?

on: 02/24/13, 21:22:14

on: 02/24/13, 21:24:21
Did they fire that Rich douche?

on: 02/24/13, 21:30:29
"1UP has fallen victim to the same industry-wide malaise that's affecting practically everyone out there: The games industry continues to evolve in ways that have marginalized the press."

Hmmm.

on: 02/24/13, 21:47:05
I wish I could say I feel sorry for the gaming press if this is some industry-wide thing, but if it is, they did it to themselves. Especially IGN.

on: 02/24/13, 21:48:41
@Infinitywave Has it really though? I don't know the numbers or anything, but I'd imagine that more people turn to gaming websites for news, etc. nowadays than ever in the past.

But it could also be that a lot of people just get that through forums too now.

Plus there are like a billion sites out there all trying to do the exact same thing.

on: 02/24/13, 21:52:09
Today Negative World is announcing layoffs.... they can no longer afford Kirby for smilies.... the yellow faced whore thats everywhere else will be brought in as a temp

on: 02/24/13, 22:01:43
I don't really care about any of those sites. Sometimes I visit IGN, but it all seems to be flame bait and articles about itself. The recent 'Xbox fans react to the PS4 announcement' being one case of many. I also hate that they call rumours 'reports'.

on: 02/24/13, 22:21:07
I believe Colin Campbell (pc I think) and Ryan Clements ( the loud guy that originally started shouting BEYOND!!!!) have been let go.

on: 02/24/13, 22:26:32
I saw some FB posts from current and former IGN employees about all this.

At least for Nintendo, do these websites even need to exist anymore? Nintendo Directs cut out the middle man.

on: 02/24/13, 22:51:18
Well, we weren't rats deserting a sinking ship for nothing, it seems. :)

on: 02/25/13, 00:45:06