Update: Kirby Returns to Dreamland undergoes a name change...
Editor
August 14, 2011, 05:52:10

3DS Buzz Reports that the name of the game is actually Kirby's Return to Dreamland, contradicting earlier reports of a name change by Go Nintendo. They have also linked to the official Nintendo Website confirming the name.

According to a recent Nintendo Power Survey, Kirby Returns to Dreamland underwent a name change. It is now called Kirby: Return to Dreamland. Could name changes for other titles be far behind? Super Mario Land 3D anyone? Or how about Mario Kart 3D?

Source: GoNintendo

Posted: 08/14/11, 05:52:10  - Edited by
 on: 08/24/11, 08:26:10

I actually liked Kirby Returns to Dreamland. Straightforward and casual. The new version makes the tone more serious.

I also like Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. I really hope they don't change them.

on: 08/14/11, 06:03:11
Super Mario Land 3D would sound terrible. Sounds like a remake of a mediocre game.

I do prefer "Returns", but it's not a huge change. Game still looks great, and the title is still better than "Kirby Wii".

on: 08/14/11, 06:16:21
@casper884

I don't agree with your Super Mario 3d Land opinion but Kirby: Return to Dreamland sounds way more serious than Returns to Dreamland.

I don't even know why!

on: 08/14/11, 06:37:44
"Kirby Returns to Dreamland" sounds sort of like the title of a story more than a video game. I kind of like both, but I think I might prefer the current one.

on: 08/14/11, 06:54:13
MightyOwned said:
@casper884 Kirby: Return to Dreamland sounds way more serious than Returns to Dreamland.

I don't even know why!

Kirby: Return to Oz....I mean Dreamland.

on: 08/14/11, 07:01:41
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think the S makes a whole lot of difference.

And I guess the only positive thing about Super Mario 3D Land is that they aren't using the word "New" anymore? "New" sounds great upon release, but a year or two later? New Super Mario Bros. isn't exactly new. Maybe they should've called it "NewER" Super Mario Bros.?

on: 08/14/11, 09:27:33
@PogueSquadron

That's why it's genius.

"Let's see, what would Billy want for his Birthday... oh! NEW Super Mario Bros.! It's NEW!!! He'll love this!"

on: 08/14/11, 09:35:51
@Secret_Tunnel Haha, yeah, I understand that. It'll just sound sillier as time goes on.

From a marketing perspective, yeah, it's pretty genius. I wonder when they'll do "New Wii Sports."

Or maybe they could put "New Wii Sports" on the DS, and then make a Wii came called "New Wii Sports Wii." Man, I should've went into marketing.

on: 08/14/11, 09:47:37
I like Kirby Returns to Dreamland.

on: 08/14/11, 12:20:12
Alice: Return to Madness

on: 08/14/11, 14:56:53
@rebonack

Super Mario Land is freakin' sweet. That game is a blast, and one of my favorite platformers ever.

Not mediocre.

on: 08/14/11, 15:43:17
NEW Super Kirby Kong Country Returns to Dream 3D Land

on: 08/14/11, 18:31:11
@nate38

Brilliant!

on: 08/14/11, 21:44:18
@GameDadGrant My feelings about the game aside, I think Super Mario Land 3D would be a bad title (even if it sounds better than Super Mario 3D Land). Nintendo's had enough trouble selling 3DSes based on the fact that people think its just a marginal upgrade of the old DS, and I think SML3D would suffer from the same problem (sounding like a remake of SML). And that might be the reason they're not calling MK Mario Kart 3D either, really.

on: 08/14/11, 22:32:42
How about we stop putting shit like 64, Wii and 3D on titles, period? Lazy ass naming schemes...

on: 08/15/11, 01:10:58
casper884 said:

This ^

Xbob42 said:
How about we stop putting 64, Wii and 3D on titles, period? Lazy naming schemes...

Yeah I kinda think someone in Nintendo wants to make sure parents know that Mario Kart Wii (one random example) is a different game than the other Mario Kart game their kid asked for a year or two ago. idk

on: 08/15/11, 01:42:07  - Edited by
 on: 08/15/11, 01:43:08
Super Mario Dimension. I mean, where else can you go from space? To another dimension, obv.

on: 08/15/11, 01:43:29
nate38 said:

Don't you think that sounds a bit The Matrix-ish? With a title like that, I fully expect Mario to be dodging Bullet Bills in slow motion and jumping over 1000 kilometer gaps. Too sci-fi-ish.

EDIT:

Oh, god, I just had a flash of Super Mario Wii U. Please God, don't let them turn the next home console Mario into something like this!

on: 08/15/11, 02:16:14  - Edited by
 on: 08/15/11, 02:20:48
@nate38 & @casper884. We already have Super Mario Galaxy, so why not Super Mario Universe.

on: 08/15/11, 03:32:14
@sirmastersephiroth

Super Mario U-niverse

Surely this is the title for Mario Wii U.

on: 08/15/11, 04:27:37