A Nintendo community
for the fans, by the fans!
Browse    1  2  
Wii U: Do you leave your console in Stand-by Mode? [poll]
 
Yes (18/21 votes)
 86%
No (3/21 votes)
 14%
Sometimes (0/21 votes)
 0%
 
I don't. My console is enclosed in a cabinet which means that it doesn't have much room for exhaust when it's not open. My Wii used to overheat for that reason during the night when it was in WiiConnect24 mode and wouldn't turn on until it cooled down. I turned off WiiConnect24 and never had the problem again. So, now I keep my Wii U completely off.

Here's a description of what Stand-by Mode is:

Nintendo said:
While in standby mode, the Wii U will:

Continue to download items currently downloading in Data Management, including content purchased from the Nintendo eShop, system updates, software updates, and add-on content
Regularly connect to the Internet to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates
Install completed downloads, including system updates if have installed system menu version 5.0.0 U (released on June 2nd, 2014)
The Wii U console will display an orange LED and power on any connected USB storage devices while performing these functions.

The standby functions will also work when the Wii U is in Wii Mode.

Source: Nintendo

What about you guys? Do you leave your console in Stand-by Mode or not?

URL to share this content (right click and copy link)
Posted: 06/03/14, 22:35:18  - Edited by 
 on: 06/03/14, 23:09:08
[ Share ]
 
 
What's stand-by mode?

When I'm done using Wii U, I press and hold the POWER button on the Gamepad until everything turns off. There's a little red light that's still on, on the console itself. But when I power it back up, it still needs to do it's whole start-up process from scratch.

Is there a different way to shut down the console?
Posted: 06/03/14, 22:41:54
I didn't even know the system had stand by.

But I wouldn't use it, unless we get the option to pre-order titles online and for the system to load them up on release. PS4 has standby and I don't use it.
Posted: 06/03/14, 22:45:23
Yes, sorta. I have my Wii U on standby, but it's connected to the same power strip as my TV, all my other consoles and my 3DS charger, and when there's no reason for me have any of that running I just turn the strip off, and the Wii U with it.
Posted: 06/03/14, 22:49:39
@GameDadGrant & @missypissy, I honestly thought this was universally know. I'll add the following description straight from Nintendo to the OP then for those who were not aware:

Nintendo said:
While in standby mode, the Wii U will:

Continue to download items currently downloading in Data Management, including content purchased from the Nintendo eShop, system updates, software updates, and add-on content
Regularly connect to the Internet to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates
Install completed downloads, including system updates if have installed system menu version 5.0.0 U (released on June 2nd, 2014)
The Wii U console will display an orange LED and power on any connected USB storage devices while performing these functions.

The standby functions will also work when the Wii U is in Wii Mode.

Source: Nintendo
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:08:16
@r_hjort

That's not really shutting it down, that's cutting the power completely.

Or...wait, is that what this question is? Unplugging the system or not?
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:08:29
@sirmastersephiroth

Oh! ...I see, so if my Wii U still downloads stuff when I'm not currently using it, then it's in Standby Mode. Kinda like 'Sleep Mode' on 3DS.

Gotcha.

Yeah, I leave mine in Standby Mode.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:10:16
GameDadGrant said:
@r_hjort

That's not really shutting it down, that's cutting the power completely.

Or...wait, is that what this question is? Unplugging the system or not?

It's a separate Power Mode. You can turn it on inside the Settings. I've provided a description from Nintendo in the OP.

Edit: You responded too fast. You're correct. It's pretty much Sleep Mode for the Wii U. They just officially call it Stand-By Mode.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:10:26  - Edited by 
 on: 06/03/14, 23:11:30
@GameDadGrant
I worded my post really crappily. Basically I do have my Wii U in standby mode, but most of the time the power will be off completely, meaning I don't actually leave mine in standby mode for extended periods of time.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:12:29
I guess I have it in standby then. I thought it kept the orange light on at all times, like the PS4, but my system does randomly turn on from time to time (I have an external drive that I can see flashing when on) and the light turns orange then once that is done it goes back to red.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:15:18
Yes. I wish I could actually leave it on all the time though.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:20:50
Only while I'm recharging the pad, which tends to be long enough to grab any updates in the background. :thumbs up:
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:21:04
Standby mode is fine. Enough air circulation.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:33:23
The what now?
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:35:46
missypissy said:
I guess I have it in standby then. I thought it kept the orange light on at all times, like the PS4, but my system does randomly turn on from time to time (I have an external drive that I can see flashing when on) and the light turns orange then once that is done it goes back to red.

That means that your PS4 is also in Stand-By mode. Otherwise, it'd be completely shut off (no lights). I also power down my PS4 completely, for the same reasons as the WIi U and Wii.
Posted: 06/03/14, 23:52:55  - Edited by 
 on: 06/03/14, 23:53:17
Yes, my system is constantly in standby.
Posted: 06/04/14, 00:23:19
Mine always has the red light on. Whatever that means.
Posted: 06/04/14, 01:13:16
@nate38

Red light is "off," but it moves to amber on its own sometimes when doing something.
Posted: 06/04/14, 01:20:59
I've gotten so used to calling standby mode simply "OFF" that I was confused when people started referring to some kind of "super-off" mode where they actually cut power to the system so it can't perform its update/notification download functions.

I'll actually keep my system on, in the Home Menu when I need it to be quiet, with the Gamepad Display off and the TV turned off if I'm wandering around the house. I'll look at the Miiverse posts on Warawara Plaza while programming, and play games on breaks.

I'll turn the console off (ie: Put it in Standby Mode) whenever I leave the house, but I never cut the power unless I need to transport the console.
Posted: 06/04/14, 01:35:32  - Edited by 
 on: 06/04/14, 01:50:31
What Is Standby Mode? (2 votes)
Posted: 06/04/14, 01:51:44
Yes, My Wii U is always in stand-by mode.
Posted: 06/04/14, 16:28:45
Browse    1  2