A Nintendo community
for the fans, by the fans!
 Go to forum index
Rayman Legends developer Michel Ancel and team appear in photo protest of Ubisoft's delay
News reported by 
Editor-in-chief
February 12, 2013, 18:55:41
 
Of course we all know by now about the controversial decision by Ubisoft to delay the finished Wii U version of Rayman Legends so it can appear in September next to PS3/360 versions that were announced. This spurred on fan outrage, which led to petitions, thousands of angry posts on Ubisoft's Facebook page, and more.

It appears that Rayman creator Michel Ancel is not happy with the delay either. Images sent to Eurogamer show Ancel and team posing with a sign that says ""Sortez nous Rayman. Soutient a Ubi Montpellier.", which Eurogamer translates to "Release Rayman. Support Ubisoft Montpelier."

The support for an immediate release of the game by the creator of Rayman itself, a high profile Ubisoft developer, will surely not go unnoticed. How will Ubisoft respond?





Source: Eurogamer

URL to share this content (right click and copy link)
Posted: 02/12/13, 18:55:41    
 
Why not sign up for a (free) account and create your own content?
 
This just keeps getting messier for Ubisoft.


Posted by 
 on: 02/12/13, 23:26:02
I'm just tellin' y'all what I heard. Don't shoot the messenger.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 00:37:34
The Microsoft policy sounds more like it applies to XBLA than retail games. If no one can dig up any proof of the policy taking effect with previous retail games, then I'd say it doesn't have any credence.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 00:43:13
The part where it says "must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions" proves this applies to retail.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 00:45:03
ludist210 said:
This reeks of PR stunt on everyone's part. I hope I'm right and that it's coming soon...

Even an eShop only release (until September when the game drops on 360 and PS3) would be enough to tide angry fans over.

Yikes this is getting uglier. But you know what? I've been thinking the same thing lately. If Ubisoft "caves" and releases the game, there's a good chance this was PR. Imagine the love that would be given to a game that was supposed to be held off for six months. All eyes are on them now.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 00:50:13
Perhaps "applies" wasn't the right word. "Enforced" is what I meant. I've heard about XBLA having strict guidelines, but I've never heard of companies running into problems with retail games.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 00:51:12
The Sony thing makes sense (enchanced versions), but I don't think I've ever heard of that Microsoft one especially for retail games.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 00:54:11
I'd be shocked to discover it was a PR stunt, mainly because I can't think of any company that'd be willing to drag their own name through the mud just to promote a single game that already had a good chance of selling well.

Sort of reminds me of that Coca Cola executive who was questioned about whether New Coke was all just a big stunt. He said, "No way were we that smart. Or that stupid."


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 01:15:02
Yet another reason why I haven't given Microsoft a single cent this generation. Fight the monopoly! Free your chains! Stop paying for nothing with XBL Gold.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 01:21:49
@deathly_hallows
I bought a 360 but I have no intentions of buying the next one. Hopefully this move by the devs helps but I'm not expecting anything.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 01:40:05
Even if the thing with Microsoft is the reason, it's not like they were forced to announce it was going multiplatform before it released on Wii U. They could have very easily just done an RE Revelations and announced it was being ported after the fact.

I find it hard to believe they decided to make the game multiplatform just last week. The announcement should have been made months ago if this has been in the works, not just before its supposed to ship. And if they DID just make this decision last week, then what difference does waiting a few weeks make?

That a finished game is being held off for several months is 100% on Ubisoft.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 02:14:58
@deathly_hallows

Actually, from what I've seen, you pay for a helluva lot of ADVERTISING for the priviledge of your Gold subscription.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 02:15:01  - Edited by 
 on: 02/13/13, 02:16:09
This whole thing is smelly. Something went down behind closed doors, whether between Ubisoft and Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, a couple of them, or all of them. Something went sour with Nintendo, or Microsoft gave incentive to delay on Wii U (it's a major blow to the system's lineup), or both. Something.

If Ubisoft wanted to release it simultaneously on Xbox, it doesn't take a whole 8 months to port the game over.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 04:18:44
@Griptor
They have to redo a lot of the game as well to make it work on Xbox too, so it isn't a simple port. Harder to go from Wii U to Xbox than Xbox to Wii U.

But I agree, something happened that we don't know about and I really want to know what it is.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 04:21:07
@Griptor
Absolultey agreed, this is a bizarre and dickish move, my guess is either things went very south with Nintendo and Ubi due to the sales of Zombi U and/or Assasin's Creed or M$ flat out wrote a check to Ubi in order to deal another blow to Wii U.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 04:42:31
@deathly_hallows

I just wonder what more Nintendo could do for ZombiU. I mean, they're packing it in with some systems, even.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 04:47:32
@kriswright

Yea, and they featured it at E3 a ton. That guy even called OctoG about it.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 04:49:48
@kriswright
I know, and Rayman was the one demo that Nitendo shipped with every display unit. Perhaps Ubisoft just had unrealistic goals.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 04:53:47
@ludist210 People said that about Mega Man Legends 3's supposed non-greenlit status too. I'm inclined to believe Ubisoft's upper management is actually this stupid. Or given that Eurogamer article, that Ubisoft is willing to delay this game simply to appease Microsoft.

@Mop it up I know The Witcher 2 came out on PC first, and then 360, but it probably doesn't apply to PC ports.


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 08:19:10
It seems to me that MS made a behind-closed-doors deal to sabotage Nintendo's chances in light of the upcoming Durango launch. That might seem a bit tin-foil hat, but not really. It's a pretty common sort of transaction in business.

@X-pert74
Supposedly, the bones of Legends 3 were turned into EX Troopers, which was supposed to be a really good game. But it bombed in Japan. And may never come here. So, karma, I guess? Except we get screwed again, as well?


Posted by 
 on: 02/13/13, 17:36:47
Browse    1  2  3