Hello all! After Survivor Polls have taken the forum by storm, I thought I would switch things up and do something new. Since it's March, why not use a little format everyone knows and see if we can't find a new way to crown a champion of Nintendo games! Yes, it will be Ocarina of Time, but at least there might be some suspense!
Here's how it works: I've divided Nintendo games into eight groups: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy/GBA, DS, and 3DS/Wii U. I then seeded each category using Negative World's own ratings. I only included games with at least 25 votes to make sure the most popular are represented (although I included Link Between Worlds as an act of executive discretion). If a game was on multiple systems, I included only the first version unless it was a true remake like Metroid: Zero Mission. The resulting groups are as follows: NES
1. Super Mario Bros. 3 2. Super Mario Bros. 3. Mega Man 2 4. The Legend of Zelda 5. Tetris 6. Contra 7. Super Mario Bros. 2 8. Mega Man 3
1. Super Metroid 2. Chrono Trigger 3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4. Final Fantasy 6 5. Super Mario World 6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 7. Earthbound 8. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 2. Super Mario 64 3. The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 4. Goldeneye 5. Perfect Dark 6. Star Fox 64 7. Banjo Kazooie 8. Paper Mario
1. Metroid Prime 2. Super Smash Bros. Melee 3. Resident Evil 4 4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 6. F-Zero GX 7. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door 8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 2. Super Mario Galaxy 3. Xenoblade Chronicles 4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 5. Donkey Kong Country Returns 6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 7. Monster Hunter Tri 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Gameboy/GBA
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 2. Pokemon Red/Blue 3. Donkey Kong '94 4. Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$! 5. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap 6. Metroid: Zero Mission 7. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 8. Metroid Fusion
1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 4. Professor Layton and the Curious Village 5. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks 6. Mario Kart DS 7. The World Ends With You 8. The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
1. Super Mario 3D World 2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3. Super Mario 3D Land 4. Kid Icarus Uprising 5. Mario Kart 7 6. New Super Mario Bros. U 7. Pushmo 8. Nintendo Land
With seeding done, I created four regions and randomly assigned two games from each seed to the regions, so that a random one seed was playing a random eight seed, a random two seed was playing a random seven seed, etc. I used some discretion to rerandomize if I felt that a system or franchise was overly represented in a region, but there is no rhyme or reason to how they are arranged otherwise.
Starting next week we will begin voting region by region for games to advance until we arrive at victory. For now, let's just discuss the seeding, see who got screwed by random chance, what we think might be good upset possibilities, etc. If you don't like anything about how I set it up... too bad!
Special thanks to The Big G for these awesome graphics!
Where are your complaints about the fact that I refer to Donkey Kong '94 even though no Gameboy game has that title? People use the title Donkey Kong '94 because there are two completely different games called Donkey Kong. Similarly there are two completely different games released in the US called Final Fantasy 3. If people confuse those two games, it is much more likely to mess up the results of the tournament than if they confuse the SNES version with the GBA version of essentially the same game. That's why I chose to refer to the game as I did. Could I have referred to it otherwise? Sure, TriforceBun referred to it as FF3 in his Survivor poll and not a single shit was given, which tells me something about you and the other FF3 zealots. But I chose the way I did, which brings us back to one of the few rules of this tournament:
If you don't like anything about how I set it up... too bad!
I really don't find it to be an issue in general. You could say "ff6" or "dk '94" and I'd know what you're talking about (although, I would know more specifically with the latter than I would with the former). As I said before, writing Final Fantasy VI (SNES) or Donkey Kong '94 (GB) comes off as odd, because it looks more formal yet does not match the published title. The correct way to write these would be Final Fantasy III (SNES) and Donkey Kong (GB). I don't think anyone would be confused if you wrote Final Fantasy III (SNES) because the only other games with the same name are Final Fantasy III (FC) and Final Fantasy III (DS/PSP/iOS/Android/WP8/WP7). It's important to remember all this discussion pertains to style, and some guidelines are still being laid.
Man, did they release the Final Fantasy III (FC) remake on a lot of platforms!