Nintendo has released System Software version 7.0 for Nintendo 3DS, which includes Miiverse support in addition to several other features. Notably, the system update allows users to link a Nintendo Network ID they've already established on Wii U, or create a new Nintendo Network ID. This functionality allows players with Wii U and 3DS to share a common wallet across the eShop on both systems.
According to Nintendo's website, the following are included in the Version 7.0.0-13U update:
Added Support for Nintendo Network IDs:
• Users can now create or link a Nintendo Network ID, which is required to use some network services, from within System Settings • Nintendo eShop has been updated to support Nintendo Network IDs • For more information regarding Nintendo Network IDs, please visit our Nintendo Network ID introduction page
Added Support for Miiverse:
• Users can now view and post to Miiverse from Nintendo 3DS family systems • For more information regarding Miiverse, please visit our Miiverse introduction page
Added a Software Update Notification:
• A notification will now display when software is started and update data is available
Removed the limit to system transfers:
• The previous limit of five system transfers per system has been removed
Changed the start-up method of Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu:
• Pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously will now start the Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu
Improved system stability and usability:
• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
• Pokémon X & Pokémon Y • Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds • Animal Crossing: New Leaf • Mario Party: Island Tour • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team • Mario Kart 7 • Super Mario 3D Land • New Super Mario Bros. 2 • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon • Scribblenauts™ Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure • Skylanders SWAP Force™ • Phoenix Wright®: Ace Attorney® - Dual Destinies • Sonic Lost World™ • Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate
Nice summary, Roy. I would add that when you link your NNID to your 3DS, that should merge your eShop balances on the Wii U and 3DS shops.
Thanks. I did mention in the first paragraph that "This functionality allows players with Wii U and 3DS to share a common wallet across the eShop on both systems." I went ahead ahead and bolded that part.
Cool, didn't realize Nintendo had a network status on their site, thanks for the link! I couldn't update my StreetPass Plaza this morning either (would get error messages), though I do have Miiverse up and running.
As far as I know, the limit is completely removed.
To post pictures of a game on Miiverse, press the Home button when you have the screen that you want to capture. Click on the Miiverse icon, which should take you to that game's community on Miiverse, and when you are creating the Miiverse post, you should be able to click on an icon on the upper right of your posting area to add the image to the post.
Since a lot of us are 3DS friends, does that mean we at least follow each other on 3DS Miiverse? I would hope so. If not, that needs to change asap. It makes no sense to friend someone on your 3DS and also have to follow them in Miiverse. Too bad we can't post to specific people.
@Guillaume They could probably force 2D on devices that don't support the stereoscopics, but I assume getting it all to go smoothly across the board would take a bit more work than it's worth. I hope they'll put some extra hours into adding 3DS game communities and giving us PMs and stuff though.
I don't think it's a big deal, it just makes me sad to see Nintendo slowly backpedalling on the promise of 3-D, especially after ALBW proved just how awesome 3-D can be, I'm glad that game was in development long before Nintendo decided to change course. I'll be really interested to see what happens with 3DS software next year, I'm worried that Pokemon and Miiverse are just the beginning and everything major will be 2-D from here on out.